Wednesday, February 11, 2009

How do you stop illegal dumping?

Illegal dumping sucks. We often get dumpings in our neighborhood (we are surrounded by greenbelts and parks) and I would guess they are repeat offenders. It seems I report a dump about once every 3 weeks. I wish I could catch them in the act! What bothers me about the dumpings are that a lot of the items could be recycled. Not to mention that I have seen fox and coyote not 50 feet from this dump site.

This is an illustration by me after we got dumped on right across from my house!
It was awful- there were mattresses, clothes, bleach bottles, disgusting garbage...and I had to stare at it for 3 days until the city came and cleaned everything up. I must admit the city does do a good job responding to reported dumpings, but maybe they should try to prevent it through public service announcements and education? Oh yeah- the image is just a representation from my imagination, I did not see a blue truck or the event taking place- I can't believe I slept through it all!


Don't forget to look up. On my way to check out the dump site,
I looked up and saw 2 bald eagles soaring overhead.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a photo of the pair.

1 comment:

  1. I see some illegal dumping around where I am too every so often. Fortunately, it's not too bad around here since everyone seems to have even a remote care for the environment, even in the worst parts of town.

    It's really sad that anyone does that and even worse, if they think it's alright.

    http://butnowyouknowit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete