Monday, June 22, 2009

The one that got away

More photos from the Union Bay Natural Area taken almost 2 weeks ago. The trails were quite overgrown with tall grass and we wish we would've brought our machetes. However, I did get to see a female American Goldfinch gathering fluff for its nest and a gorgeous osprey.

Last week I went on the Twin Falls hike near North Bend. We hiked up to the suspension bridge that overlooked the 2nd waterfall and I saw my first male Western Tanager! What a beauty- it had a bright yellow body and black wings with a fiery orange/red head. It flew down in to the clearing and landed on contrasting dark green boughs of douglas fir- which would've made a great photo with the waterfall behind it, but it flew away just after I got a close look at it through my binoculars.

1 comment: