Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Beautiful Untrue- music review


I first saw this cd in Tesco of all places when I was visiting my mother-in-law in Ireland last month. I recognized the artwork of Amanda Atkins who is an Etsy artist that I really like a lot. I had never heard of Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club so I didn't buy it, but when I got home I followed Amanda's site to Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club's myspace page and listened to the sample clips of the Beautiful Untrue.

The artwork is very appropriate because the music does have a carnivalesque feel to it. The music and vocals remind me of a lot of different artists from Tom Waits to the soundtrack of Twin Peaks with Julie Cruise to the Wolfgang Press to even Frank Black. Does this show my age? The myspace page likened the music to something that might be on the Amelie or City of Lost Children soundtracks which I do agree with.

Needless to say I bought the album- my first digital download of an entire cd (it does show my age!). Although I was tempted to buy an actual disc so I could have a tangible print of Amanda's artwork, but the immediacy of the download won me over. Check out both Amanda Atkins great art and the music of Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    this is so sweet! Thank you for posting it. Let me know if you ever want to do a print trade!
    Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete